My name is Eileen and I was addicted to helping in an unhealthy way!
As one of life’s natural-born helpers, I am finely tuned to the needs of others.
However, helping in an unhealthy way meant that I was ignoring my own needs.
For as long as I can remember, I’ve been fascinated by how things work.
Not so much the nuts and bolts of a car engine, or a computer, but I’ve always wanted to know what makes people tick.
- What motivates us?
- How do our minds work?
- Where do we source certain behaviours, or beliefs?
To help answer these questions, I’ve been a personal growth junkie my whole life.
I have read about metaphysics and the science of happiness.
I have been on courses, workshops, and retreats to learn the teachings of Deepak Chopra, Barefoot Doctor, Lynn Franks, and many other amazing teachers.
I have explored family constellations, Reiki, mindfulness, past-life energies, character strengths, and more.
My third-level education began in my 50’s when I acquired a Masters Degree in Writing and has continued ever since.
I have added loads of certificates in areas that interest me – Leadership, People Management , Personal Development, Coaching – including a Post-Grad in Mental Health Promotion.
The horsey side of life has brought its own learning, including
- Horse Sport Ireland Coach
- Therapeutic Horse-riding Coach
- Equine-assisted Learning Facilitator
- EAGALA certified Equine Professional.
This lifetime of diverse (and continuing) learning has a common denominator!
Every book, course, workshop, and retreat has brought me closer to understanding what it means to live as an empowered women.
And the bottom line here is LOVE.
With hindsight, I can now recognise that my insatiable appetite for knowledge has been leading me to LOVE.
It’s a real privilege to live as one of life’s natural-born helpers – but it comes with a level of personal responsibility many of us neglect.
The responsibility to love ourselves first!
It has taken me a lifetime to learn that I can’t help anyone unless I look after myself first.
Trying to pour from an empty cup leaves everyone frustrated and unhappy!
If you’re reading this, I am confident that you are one of the world’s natural-born helpers too.
NATURAL BORN HELPER CHECKLIST
Is this You?
- The desire to lift other people higher is hard-wired into our DNA.
- You simply can’t stop yourself from reaching out.
- You see solutions where others see challenges.
- You see potential where others see obstacles.
- You see a way forward where others can only see despair.
- You are creative visionaries – but very often you are your own worst enemy!
- You tend to give, and give, and give without ever taking the time to replenish your own resources.
- You lose sight of healthy boundaries and become overwhelmed.
- You feel guilty for not doing enough for others.